Tuesday 3 March 2009

say what?



blog virginity officially stolen.

so everyone's blogging. i thought how hard could it be? very, is the answer. i've come to realise it's clearly a lot harder than i first thought. i just sat staring at this blank screen for at least 15minutes whilst the vinyl player to my right asked me where i got the blank expression on my face. funny.

but as a foundation i'm going to say this: i do not claim to be the best speller in the world, nor do i claim to be at all eloquent. this little corner of the internet is going to contain any ramblings i that take me fancy and maybe i'll chuck in a bit of photography and musical taste for good measure.

this week i brought my deck back from sunny dirtford to halls and high jacked some of my mum's record collection. my mum has never conducted herself how a mum "should" conduct herself but it's never done me any harm. if anything she's provided me with a skill for remembering lyrics, even to songs i've never heard. she regularly breaks out into reggae toasts, known officially in my house as "mum's random reggae". i don't like the word random, but it fits well in this context so i'll allow it. i decided that at the age of 20 it was probably time to listen to the actual songs as opposed to my mum's regurgitated versions. raking through the records, i found a few gems. my favourite being "the wonderful world of reggae" which - i might add - does exactly what it says on the tin. it ends on a self proclaimed "jamaican version of the good times sound" called "rockers choice" by xanadu & sweet lady. sounds a lot like blondie's rapture and there are a few cheeky SAY WHAT!?'s thrown in , for good measure.

SAY WHAT!? seems to be the phrase of the week. after listening to rockers choice i went to sleep only to wake up at 2 in the morning having already unconsciously answered my phone to a prank call. the voice was a put on jamaican accent. i suspect it was lee scratch perry himself. it was certainly very convincing. coincidentally enough there were a few SAY WHAT!?'s thrown in to the conversation as well, for good measure.

STOP SAYING FOR GOOD MEASURE.




emmie twee

1 comment: